Minister says UAE trying to fragment Yemen

UAE is creating separate regional and tribal armies in South Yemen

Yemen minister accuses UAE of trying to fragment his country

Yemen war

A Yemeni minister accused the United Arab Emirates of trying to fragment his country by creating separate “regional and tribal armies” in the south and called upon the government to take action. Yemen has been engulfed in a civil war since 2015, with an Arab-led coalition that includes the UAE fighting Iran-backed Houthi rebels to restore the internationally recognized government to power.

But the government, now based in the port city of Aden, is at odds with the UAE forces based there, their official allies against the Houthis.

The UAE has trained and financed Yemeni troops who only answer to the Emiratis and has also backed a newly formed pro-secessionist Southern Transitional Council.

The council’s supporters battled in Aden’s streets last month, calling for the Yemeni government’s resignation.

Yemeni transportation minister, Saleh al-Gabwani, said the UAE-backed troops cut off his convoy Sunday while he was on route to inaugurate a new port, in Balhaf, a town that hosts the largest natural gas plant in Yemen and a major terminal, now occupied by the UAE forces.

He said the so-called Shabwa Elite Force, one of several units that only answer to the UAE forces, told him that the Emiratis ordered that he be stopped from reaching the port.

“There are tribal and regional armies set up by the Emiratis,” Gabwani later told a gathering of local and government officials. “We as a state can’t accept continuation of this situation.”
Source: The Daily Star, in English, February 27, 2018
Source Description: A daily newspaper covering all the latest news and issues in Lebanon and around the world.
© 2018. Web Middle East (Web Me) s.a.l

Russian UN envoy calls for ending search for scapegoats in Yemeni conflict

Yemen war

The global community must seek to launch a peace process in Yemen rather than look for scapegoats, Russian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya said at a UN Security Council meeting.

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, whose term is expiring in late February, presented a report at the meeting, while Security Council members, including the United Kingdom and the United States, shared their views on the humanitarian situation in the country and efforts to resolve the conflict. The US particularly criticized Iran, accusing it of destabilizing the situation in Yemen and the entire region. London and Washington had earlier failed to make the UN Security Council pass a resolution accusing Iran of illegal arms supplies to Yemeni rebels.

While addressing the meeting, the Russian envoy said that “efforts to launch a meaningful process have been failing so far,” while the situation in Yemen, “first and foremost, the humanitarian situation, has become catastrophic.” “The Yemen conflict is highly complicated and complex, so there is a need to search for ways to launch an peace process without preconditions rather than look for scapegoats, trying to adjust the desired result to someone’s geopolitical plans,” Nebenzya said.

He pointed to the efforts to improve the situation in Yemen being made by the United Nations and some countries, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. However, the Russian envoy stressed that “humanitarian assistance alone cannot help find long-term viable solutions.” “The situation needs to be brought to the political track. Under the current critical circumstances, it is important for the United Nations to have a clear action plan,” the Russian diplomat noted.

According to Nebenzya, much will depend on Martin Griffiths, the new UN special envoy for Yemen. “We expect him to hold consultations with all the parties in the conflict and figure out his action plan that could be included in the next report for the Security Council,” Nebenzya said.

Yemen conflict

The war between Yemen’s government, recognized by the global community, and the Houthi rebels has been raging since August 2014. The conflict entered an active phase when a Saudi-led coalition invaded the country. Saudi Arabia, supported by the air forces of Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, is involved in a military operation against the rebels. Egypt, Jordan, Morocco and Sudan are also part of the coalition.

According to the Yemeni Center for Human Rights and Development, in the first 800 days of bombings, more than 12,500 civilians were killed. The United Nations says that three-thirds of the Yemeni population – 22.2 mln people – are in need of aid, while seven mln are facing the risk of starvation.

Source: TASS (Russia), in English, February 27, 2018
© 2011. ITAR-TASS. All rights reserved

Iran condemns the West’s biased’ resolution at UNSC

Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (Araqchi) has condemned a Western-backed resolution at the United Nations Security Council that sought to warn Iran over allegedly violating the council’s sanctions.

The British-drafted resolution, which aimed to extend an arms embargo on Yemen’s Houthi rebels, initially called Iran out for violating the sanctions. The resolution was vetoed on 26 February by Russia and subsequently a Moscow-drafted resolution, which made no mention of Iran, was unanimously adopted.

“The bias of the accusations and the way in which the report by the UN panel of experts on Yemen was prepared was totally clear,” Araghchi told reporters in Tehran on 27 February, Tasnim news agency reported.

The Iranian diplomat said the UK had already reached its own conclusions without “hearing what we have to say”.

“This is a defeat for the USA, one of their many losses in the past year,” Araghchi added.
Source: Tasnim news agency website, Tehran, in Persian 0741 gmt, February 27, 2018
© 2018 The British Broadcasting Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Iran: Failed UNSC Resolution Attempt Meant to Hide US, UK Complicity in Yemen War

“Desperate attempt by the US and the UK at United Nations Security Council” to cover up complicity of Saudi and Emirati war crimes in Yemen over past three years has failed, Zarif wrote on his Twitter account on Tuesday.

The Iranian foreign minister said that the anti-Iran resolution was merely aimed at covering up the role of Washington and London in the war crimes commited by Suaid Arabia in Yemen.

He reiterated that since the very start, Iran called for ceasefire, aid, dialogue and inclusive government.

Zarif renewed Tehran’s call for ceasefire, aid, and an inclusive government in Yemen, while stressing that dialogue was the only solution to the crisis in that country.

The Iranian foreign minister made the comment a day after Russia vetoed a resolution at the Security Council, presented by Britain and strongly backed by the United States, which called for “additional measures” against Iran over accusations that it violated the 2015 arms embargo on the war-torn Arabian Peninsula state.

In relevant remarks on Tuesday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said that the US and Britain are responsible for Saudi Arabia’s continued warmongering and military aggression against Yemen.

Also on Tuesday, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araqchi said that Russia’s vote against the UN draft resolution represented another setback for the US.

The draft resolution gained 11 favorable votes at the 15-member Security Council, but was blocked by Russia’s veto. China and Kazakhstan abstained, while Bolivia also voted against the measure.

A group of so-called independent United Nations experts monitoring the sanctions on Yemen reported to the Security Council in January that it had identified missile remnants, related military equipment and military unmanned aerial vehicles that are of Iranian origin and were brought into Yemen after the imposition of the targeted arms embargo.”

The Security Council instead adopted unanimously a Russian-written resolution that called for a one-year extension of sanctions against Yemen and a renewal of the work of the panel of experts.

At least 15,700 people have been killed since the onset of Saudi Arabia’s military campaign against Yemen in 2015. Much of the country’s infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and factories, has been reduced to rubble due to the war.

The Saudi-led war has also triggered a deadly cholera epidemic across Yemen.

According to the World Health Organization’s latest tally, the cholera outbreak has killed 2,167 people since the end of April 2017 and is suspected to have infected 841,906.
Source: FARS News Agency, in English, February 28, 2018
Source Description: News agency covering political, economic, cultural, social, legal, sports and military news. Country of origin: Iran
© 2018, FARS News Agency, All rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *